July 13, 2024
Journalist among three dead in Syria bombing: state media

Niger revokes military accord with U.S., junta spokesperson says

[ad_1]

Niger’s ruling military junta has revoked with immediate effect a military accord that allows military personnel and civilian staff from the U.S. Department of Defense on its soil, junta spokesperson Colonel Amadou Abdramane said on March 17.

The decision follows a visit by U.S. officials this week which was led by Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee and included General Michael Langley, commander of the U.S. Africa Command.

Mr. Abdramane, speaking on television in the West African nation, said the U.S. delegation did not follow diplomatic protocol, and that Niger was not informed about the composition of the delegation, the date of its arrival or the agenda.

He added that the discussions were around the current military transition in Niger and military cooperation between the two countries.

There were about 1,100 U.S. troops in Niger as of last year, where the U.S. military operates out of two bases including a drone base known as Air Base 201, built near Agadez in central Niger at a cost of more than $100 million.

Since 2018 the base has been used to target Islamic State militants and Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (JNIM), an al Qaeda affiliate, in the Sahel region.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

US company Qualcomm in talks with Adani over 5G, chips Previous post US company Qualcomm in talks with Adani over 5G, chips
Star Health eyes NRI business through GIFT Next post Star Health eyes NRI business through GIFT